Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Uniting A Nation

Fred Heath
Eng 48A
Journal for Lincoln
9/29/09
Abraham Lincoln
1809-1865

"Both parties depreciated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and one would rather accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came." (pg 1636 Norton)

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that... I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free." (Wikipedia-letter to Horace Greeley)

The first quote truly exemplified Lincoln's power over words. Forgoing the controversial subject of slavery, he simplifies the origins of the war, subtly labeling the confederates as the aggressors of the war, and the union as the resolute defenders of a nation. Though the statement is not necessarily true, being as the secession of the confederates from the union wouldn't have destroyed the nation, it is true, in the notion that the secession was in effect a declaration of war. Lincoln tries to express this truth as passively as possible however, and admits that neither North or South wanted a war, nor did they expect the bloodshed that was to follow. By expressing that neither the North or South expected such a terrible war, he does allow, that perhaps if they had know what was to come, they would have solved things differently. A powerful, yet gentle kindness, his words admit a respect, and more importantly, an empathy for the South.


In my second quote, Lincoln plays the part of the diplomat. Crafty yet pragmatic, Lincoln separates his duty as a leader representative of the people from his own personal moral ethic, and in doing so appeals to both sides. He plays his part as leader of the Union by expressing his desire to preserve the Nation, but stands his own moral ground, and rallies support from the Confederates by reminding them that his primary goal is that of reuniting the States, not the abolition of slavery.

I admire Lincoln for his ability to rise to the challenge that he faced. I can think of few presidents who could have risen to the occasion as he did. It makes me wonder how much guilt he carried with him to the grave. I believe he fought for all the right causes, but there is no gentle way of killing your own countrymen, and the remorse he must have felt can be seen in his writing. How would the United States have turned out had he not been assassinated, I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment